This Featured Friday highlights an article with journaling tips from the pages of the Mar/Apr 2018 issue of Cherished Magazine. (There are 50 Tips in the issue)
If you have considered taking up journaling, keep these tips in mind.
- Journal daily for best results. This allows you to document things in much more detail. You don’t have to write a novel, just a few sentences will do.
- Journal when your mind is at ease so you can focus. This may be first thing in the morning, during your lunch break or the last thing you do at night.
- Record more than just your thoughts. Include your feelings, the sights, sounds and smells around you. What color was the sky? Did you smell fresh cut grass? What was the person wearing?
- Write about where you are in life at this moment. Write about how you got to this moment in life and where you see yourself going from here.
- Don’t worry about using correct grammar, full sentences or punctuation. This is for your eyes only. Just let the thoughts flow. Don’t censor your thoughts or feelings. Just write it as you see, think or feel it.
- Create a gratitude journal for all the things you are grateful for. When you’re feeling lost or down, read through it to brighten your day.
- Include more than just words. Photos, drawings, stickers, poems, quotes, scriptures, mementos and more can be added.
- Journal about your successes and failures. It will bring you much insight. When trying to solve a problem, write it down in the third person so you see it from a new perspective.
- Don’t just surface write. Tap into your deeper emotions and thoughts to get the most benefit for your efforts.
- Pen and paper are much more effective for journaling than using digital devices. If pen and paper just doesn’t work for you, then go the digital route. It’s better than not journaling at all.
Journaling is a fun and rewarding way to document the life’s happenings. Happy journaling!
PS – Looking for a new journal? I love pretty and Dayspring is one of my favorite resources. Sign up here to be the first to know when the new Illustrated Faith Collections arrive!